Friday, June 1, 2012

Pitching a Tent


The recent message "Not Settling for Good Enough" got me asking myself, "Self, have you settled for good enough?" Today I'm sitting in the Library editing a video for The Fashion Group International Inc. of Houston as part of a series entitled "Why Do I FGI?". I teamed up with Jaxon Entertainment & Production. They came up with an idea to promote The Fashion Group International Inc of Houston. I feel like FGI is an excellent resource for professionals and students; additionally, I love video production so even though this was an unpaid project I signed on to produce this series. I tell myself that I feel fortunate to be able to exercise my craft and hone my skills but this is definitely not what I want to do for the rest of my life.

I worked for years gaining skills, education, contacts, and everything else I thought would lead me to success. As I pause briefly to look around, this is not the picture of success that I had. I'm sitting at a table with a family: 2 teens working on their summer reading and their mom doing something on her computer. In the distance I hear the loud librarian explaining how the automatic light works to a patron. As I glance a little farther I see a mentally disabled woman cringing on the sofa and behind her a team of Mormons. I want to finish the video but I can't stop thinking that this is not what I want to be doing.

I'd like to be in MY office with at least 3 employees. Maybe I'd be editing...maybe I'd be leaving to take a meeting with a perspective client where a recent college grad edits away on a PAID PROJECT. I get a few paid projects now, but no where close to enough projects that would bring in enough money for me to live a the quality of life that I desire. So what do I do? Pastor Joel said, "Don't build a house where you're supposed to pitch a tent." I here by declare this a tent and it's high time for me take my stakes up and move on.

Where will I go? TBD I guess I'll get back to this video. I do after all believe in this cause and keep my commitments. But It's still just a tent. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment