Saturday, June 9, 2012

No Learning Curve

Our society was formed through a long process of trial and error; unfortunately those pioneers forgot their mistakes and only accept "perfect people". You have to have the right school, the right training, and the right experience before anyone will give you a chance. In today's society, those entering the work force no longer get a learning curve unless he/she knows someone.

I went into a temp agency and the people who worked there wouldn't send me on an administrative assistant job because I'd never used the software that they use at that particular office. Now I did however take the aptitude test and passed that section; I just wonder why they made me test on the software if it "experience" was the only qualification. Even if I had failed the aptitude test, they couldn't put good faith into a person with a Master of Science? Furthermore, why did the company even post that position; I'm sure there was an able-bodied janitor at the company who could have learned the software. I've learned that some of the people who do the "lowest" jobs are highly skilled; some of them just had to take what they could get.

Speaking of hiring within the company...Someone close to me worked his way up to a lucrative position with a large provider of professional services to energy, resource, and complex process industries base in Austrailia. After he was promoted, you'd think they'd give at least an employee within their company a crack at the position but no, they hired an outside person. If I worked at that company, I'd be a little peeved...

Just a few thoughts. It upsets me that people don't get a learning curve anymore. They put us through torture in school then we grow up and can't even use the information because no one paid us to use the information. I just don't think it's fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment