Friday, January 18, 2013

Jury Duty: Civil Edition

I had the opportunity to serve on a jury again. This time my service took me to the civil court here in Harris County. The presiding judge was Sylvia Matthews and she was really sweet. She is pretty much the reason that chose to write this blog. After the case was settled she asked us how it was. The consensus was that it was not a bad experience and she requested that we share that sentiment with others because jury duty has negative connotations.

I wasn't thrilled when I received my summons but I marked the date on my calendar. Ironically as a youth I anticipated the opportunity to serve on a jury and I found myself dreading the prospect. To my delight it turned out to be a pleasant experience.

When you enter the jury plaza, workers are lined up from entry to security greeting prospective jurors with a smile directing each individual to the next point. They reminded me of the greeters for the Disney magical express; by the time I got to security I had almost forgotten my apprehension.

After being briefed we were free to grab a snack. A sweet Hispanic lady was selling homemade breakfast tacos alongside the normal novelties and they proudly brew Starbucks coffee! Not soon after I purchased my breakfast I was whisked away to the Judge Matthew's courtroom on the fourteenth floor.

On one end of the hallway was a breathtaking  view of downtown Houston. On the other end of the hallway was a view of Minute Maid Park and the expansive highway system. The bailiff, officer Peebles brought us into the court where both parties were seated.

The judge graciously welcomed and greeted us. She turned us over to the attorneys for Voire Dire and they asked us a few questions. The process was relatively short. They asked a few questions to weed out prejudices and predispositions. Then we were whisked away to the hallway.

Obviously I was chosen for the jury. The case lasted 2 days. Everyone on the jury came from different walks of life. We all lived on different sides of town even. During breaks we never had to leave the building because they had many conveniences: WiFi, electrical outlets, food court, etc...If anyone did want to leave the court is in downtown Houston where there is shopping, food, and entertainment to your heart's content!

The bottom line is that it wasn't a bad experience in the least. Also we got to play an important part in a basic right that we all have. They give you a work excuse and everything. So when you get your jury summons in the mail get ready to have a pleasant day playing and important role in society.



Sent from my Galaxy S®III because Jeniro is on the go!

No comments:

Post a Comment