Saturday, November 10, 2018

Celebrating the Life of Sylvester Jackson II



Old Testament Reading

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.  He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.  Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
Psalms 23:1‭-‬6 KJV

New Testament Reading
Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.   In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.   And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.   And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.  Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?  Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
John 14:1‭-‬6 KJV

Pastor Amos Sowell, Mount Olive Baptist Church

John 11 Lazarus

1. We need to take time to grieve.
We try to convince ourselves that we need to be strong but even Jesus cried.

Holding back tears means that we're scared to express our feelings.

And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see.  Jesus wept.  Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him!
John 11:34‭-‬36 KJV

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:  A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
Ecclesiastes 3:1‭, ‬4 KJV

Jesus could have resurrected Lazarus immediately but he took time to grieve.

2. Jesus understands our grief.

Though Jesus seems far away in dark times, he's always there. 

Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.  For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.  Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
Hebrews 4:14‭-‬16 KJV

Jesus knows what it feels like. 

Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour.  And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
Matthew 27:45‭-‬46 KJV

3. There's always a purpose, even for grief.

When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.
John 11:4 KJV

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28 KJV


Sylvester Jackson, II
1936-2018

DICKINSON - Mr. Sylvester Jackson, II passed peacefully from this life Thursday morning, November 1, 2018, in Dickinson at his home.
Sylvester was born July 8, 1936 in Smithland, TX to Sylvester and Julia (Tyson) Jackson. From an early age, Sylvester learned the importance of hard work and perseverance. It was these characteristics that helped him succeed personally and professionally throughout his life. He supported his family for over 20 years by working at Lubrizol in Deer Park. He was a quick learner and many times taught himself valuable skills simply by watching others. Sylvester was a wonderful carpenter who could build anything with his hands but when he wasn't hard at work he loved being out on his boat with a pole in the water. As a husband, he instilled love; as a father, he instilled knowledge; and as a believer, he instilled faith…he will be greatly missed. 
He was preceded in death by his parents and sisters, Jean and Lulu.
Survivors include his loving wife of 16 years, Sunshine Jackson; sons, Gregory Jackson, Juan Carlos Jackson and wife, Stephanie; daughter, Andrea Mellette and husband, Danny; stepsons, Arthur "Sunny" Whiteker, Marco Liggan and wife, Mandy; brother, Thomas Jackson and wife, Hazel; sister, Bertha Mae; grandchildren, Krysten Mellette, Isa Jackson, Pierce Ava Liggan; mother of his children, Elba Jackson; numerous nieces and nephews.
Memorial services will be 2:00 p.m. Saturday, November 10, 2018, at Mt. Olivet Baptist Church, with Pastor Amos Sowell officiating. 
A private cremation was conducted under the direction of Hayes Funeral Home, 10412 Highway 6, Hitchcock, TX (409) 925-3501. www.HayesFuneralHome.com
Hayes Funeral Home

No comments:

Post a Comment