Sunday, April 9, 2017

Sermon notes "Counting Sheep"

Counting Sheep

Apr 9, 2017

Dr. Ed Newton

John 10:11-28 ESV


11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. 17 For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father."

19 There was again a division among the Jews because of these words. 20 Many of them said, "He has a demon, and is insane; why listen to him?" 21 Others said, "These are not the words of one who is oppressed by a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?"

I and the Father Are One
22 At that time the Feast of Dedication took place at Jerusalem. It was winter, 23 and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the colonnade of Solomon. 24 So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly." 25 Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me, 26 but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.
Background: 


The language of sheep and the shepherd is used by the Apostle John over 30 times in his writings to the early church. The word "sheep" is referenced over 300 times in Scripture, all the while depicting a guiding relationship between God and his people, leading us to know our worth and value. 
I. The Contrast between Shepherds: "I Am the GOOD Shepherd" (vs. 11)


Two words used for "good" in the New Testament: 
• Agathos - the moral quality of the subject or thing.
• Kalos - the value, truth, and beauty, in character and service.

Application:  He Leads versus Drives

II. The Conviction of the Shepherd: "lays down his life FOR the sheep" (vs. 11)


The Perfect Preposition: The words "For" or "huper" in the Greek language reveals the death of Jesus was:  Willingly, Sacrificially, and Triumphantly

Quote Worth Sharing: "In the Old Testament the sheep died for the Shepherd, in the New Testament the Shepherd dies for the sheep" - Warren Wiersbe

Application:  He Owns versus Uses

III. The Call of the Shepherd: "My sheep hear my voice, and I KNOW them, and they follow me" (vs. 27)


The word for "know" speaks of more than being familiar, it is being family:
• He knows your Name
• He knows your Need
• He knows your Nature

Application:  He Knows versus Ignores

IV. The Comfort of the Shepherd:  "I give them eternal life, and they will NEVER perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand" (vs. 28)


The assurance of eternal life is found in the two words for "give" and "snatch":
• To Grant:  To transfer possession of
• To Guard:  To protect possession of

Application:  He Seals versus Releases

Community Group Discussion Questions


"Counting Sheep"    John 10:11-15     April 8/9 

Getting Started


The language of sheep and the shepherd is used by the Apostle John over 30 times in his writings to the early church. The word "sheep" is referenced over 300 times in Scripture, all the while depicting a guiding relationship between God and his people, leading us to know our worth and value. 

Few of us live in agricultural areas or make our living by raising crops or animals.  What modern day equivalent can you think of that communicates this same idea of someone being in a guiding relationship that leads you to know your worth and value?  

Who has been that person in your life and why?

Going Deeper



The Contrast between Shepherds: "I Am the GOOD Shepherd" (v. 11)


Two words used for "good" in the New Testament: 
• Agathos - the moral quality of the subject or thing.
• Kalos - the value, truth, and beauty, in character and service.

The Bible tells us in many places that Jesus is morally 'good' but in this verse Jesus calls Himself the 'Kalos' shepherd, who shows value, truth and beauty in His character and service toward us. 

Think of the great people who have inspired you in your life.  Did they force you and drive you to do what was right, or did they inspire you and lead you to greatness?  Give us some specifics about how they were good to you.

Application:  He Leads versus Drives

The Conviction of the Shepherd: "lays down his life FOR the sheep" (v. 11)


The Perfect Preposition:  "for" or "huper" in the Greek language reveals the death of Jesus was:  Willingly, Sacrificially, and Triumphantly

Read Isaiah 53:4-12.  These words were written 600 years before Jesus was born, yet how perfectly they predict and explain why He came and why He died for us. 

"In the Old Testament the sheep died for the Shepherd, in the New Testament the Shepherd dies for the sheep" - Warren Wiersbe

As a group, come up with a list of famous movies or books that have a hero who dies on behalf of, or in place of, or to save the lives of others who desperately need to be rescued. 

How is each of these a shadow or copy of what Jesus has done for us? 

How is Jesus' sacrifice different?  (possible answer:  those heroes saved people's physical lives, but Jesus saves our souls for eternity)

Application:  He Owns versus Uses

The Call of the Shepherd: "My sheep hear my voice, and I KNOW them, and they follow me" (vs. 27)


"Know" speaks of more than being familiar; it is being family:
• He knows your Name
• He knows your Need
• He knows your Nature

Read Psalm 139:1-10.  In these verses, King David shows that he understands the totality of how well God knows him. 
What does it mean to you to know that God knows you completely and is always present with you and wants you to follow Him? 

Is there any reason you would not want to trust your life to Him?

Application:  He Knows versus Ignores

The Comfort of the Shepherd:  "I give them eternal life, and they will NEVER perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand" (vs. 28)


Assurance of eternal life is found in the words for "give" and "snatch":
• To Grant:  To transfer possession of
• To Guard:  To protect possession of

Read John 17:1-3 and 1 John 2:25, 5:11-13.  These verses show us that Jesus has transferred possession of eternal life to us and that He will protect that possession for us.  Looking closely at 5:12-13, what do you see as the requirement for possessing eternal life? 

(possible answer: we have to 'have' the Son (Jesus) and believe in His name (His character and claims).  Jesus was who He said He was (God's sinless Son, and did what He said He would do (died on the cross to pay for our sins, and then rose from the dead). 

Have each of you made that decision?   

Leader, if someone wants to pray to trust Jesus Christ as their Savior, you can lead them in that prayer.  If you feel they need a more thorough understanding of the gospel, I encourage you to go to this website and walk through it with them.

http://www.evantell.org/gospel-presentation/

Application:  He Seals versus Releases


Group Prayer Requests


Pray for those you want to invite for one of our 6 Easter services:  Friday at 7:00, Saturday at 5:00 & 7:00, Sunday at 9:00, 11:00, & 1:00

No comments:

Post a Comment