Thursday, July 21, 2016

Fight Police Brutality

When I say fight back I don't mean physically. I believe that when confronted by police you should do all that you can to cooperate. Do exactly what the police officer asks you to do so that he or she can't say that you did anything wrong.
 
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
Romans 12:18
 
When I say fight police brutality, I mean file a police report. That's how we can hold police officers accountable.
 
“If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.
Matthew 18:15-17
 
 
 
I recently read an article and watched a video (posted above) about the violent arrest of Breaion King. Art Acevedo, the police chief interviewed in that article said, “we need to help our community overcome the fear or reluctance, which I understand, to file a complaint...This is critical if we are to weed out bad officers and bad behavior."
 
I  received questionable treatment by police officers and I didn't file a complaint; fortunately, it wasn't anything close to the horrible videos that have been surfacing lately. I used to excuse the behavior, saying "well, he doesn't know me from the next person". Though the aforementioned statement is true, it's really dangerous to let "little things" slide. Art Acevedo, the police chief interviewed in this article said, “we need to help our community overcome the fear or reluctance, which I understand, to file a complaint...This is critical if we are to weed out bad officers and bad behavior"
 
I'll post a blog soon about how to file a complaint.

No comments:

Post a Comment